1. WHAT DATA WE GET
We collect certain data from you directly, like information you enter yourself, data about your participation in courses, and data from third-party platforms you connect with TCM Academy. We also collect some data automatically, like information about your device and what parts of our Services you interact with or spend time using.
1.1 Data You Provide to Us
We may collect different data from or about you depending on how you use the Services. Below are some examples to help you better understand the data we collect.
When you create an account and use the Services, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide directly, including:
|Account Data||In order to use certain features (like enrolling in a course), you need to create a user account. When you create or update your account, we collect and store the data you provide, like your email address, password (encrypted), and assign you a unique identifying number (“Account Data”).|
|Profile Data||You can also choose to provide profile information like a photo, headline, website link, social media profiles, or other data. Your Profile Data may be publicly viewable by others.|
|Shared Content||Parts of the Services may let you interact with other users or share content publicly, including by posting reviews on a course page, asking or answering questions, sending messages to students or instructors, or posting photos or other work you upload. Such shared content may be publicly viewable by others depending on where it is posted.|
|Course Data||When you enroll in and take courses, we collect certain data including which courses, assignments and quizzes you’ve started and completed; your exchanges with instructors, teaching assistants, and other students and other items submitted to satisfy course requirements.|
|Student Payment Data||If you make purchases, we collect certain data about your purchase (such as your name and zip code) as necessary to process your order. You must provide certain payment and billing data directly to our payment processing partners, including your name, credit card information, billing address, and zip code. For security, TCM Academy does not collect or store sensitive cardholder data, such as full credit card numbers or card authentication data.|
|Data About Your Accounts on Other Services||We may obtain certain information through your social media or other online accounts if they are connected to your TCM Academy account. If you login to TCM Academy via Facebook or another third-party platform or service, we ask for your permission to access certain information about that other account. For example, depending on the platform or service we may collect your name, profile picture, account ID number, login email address, location, physical location of your access devices.Those platforms and services make information available to us through their APIs. The information we receive depends on what information you (via your privacy settings) or the platform or service decide to give us.If you access or use our Services through a third-party platform or service, or click on any third-party links, the collection, use, and sharing of your data will also be subject to the privacy policies and other agreements of that third party.|
The data listed above is stored by us and associated with your account.
1.2 Data We Collect through Automated Means
When you access the Services (including browsing courses), we collect certain data by automated means, including:
|System Data||Technical data about your computer or device, like your IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device identifiers, browser, browser language, domain and other systems data, and platform types (“System Data”).|
|Usage Data||Usage statistics about your interactions with the Services, including courses accessed, time spent on pages or the Service, pages visited, features used, your search queries, click data, date and time, and other data regarding your use of the Services (“Usage Data”).|
|Approximate Geographic Data||An approximate geographic location, including information like country, city, and geographic coordinates, calculated based on your IP address.|
The data listed above is collected through the use of server log files and tracking technologies, as detailed in the “Cookies and Data Collection Tools” section below. It is stored by us and associated with your account.
2. HOW WE GET DATA ABOUT YOU
We use tools like cookies, web beacons, analytics services, and advertising providers to gather the data listed above. Some of these tools offer you the ability to opt out of data collection.
2.1 Cookies and Data Collection Tools
TCM Academy uses the following types of cookies:
- Preferences: cookies that remember data about your browser and preferred settings that affect the appearance and behavior of the Services (like your preferred language).
- Security: cookies used to enable you to log in and access the Services; protect against fraudulent logins; and help detect and prevent abuse or unauthorized use of your account.
- Functional: cookies that store functional settings (for example remember that you completed a course).
- Session State: cookies that track your interactions with the Services to help us improve the Services and your browsing experience, remember your login details, and enable processing of your course purchases. These are strictly necessary for the Services to work properly, so if you disable them then certain functionalities will break or be unavailable.
Some of the third-party partners who provide certain features on our site may also use Local Storage Objects (also known as flash cookies or LSOs) to collect and store data.
We use third-party browser and mobile analytics services like Google Analytics. These services use Data Collection Tools to help us analyze your use of the Services, including information like the third-party website you arrive from, how often you visit, events within the Services, usage and performance data. We use this data to improve the Services, better understand how the Services perform on different devices, and provide information that may be of interest to you.
2.3 Online Advertising
We use third-party advertising services to deliver advertising about our Services on other websites and applications you use. The ads may be based on things we know about you, like your Usage Data and System Data (as detailed in Section 1), and things that these ad service providers know about you based on their tracking data. The ads can be based on your recent activity or activity over time and across other sites and services, and may be tailored to your interests.
Depending on the types of advertising services we use, they may place cookies or other tracking technologies on your computer, phone, or other device to collect data about your use of our Services, and may access those tracking technologies in order to serve these tailored advertisements to you. To help deliver tailored advertising, we may provide these service providers with a hashed, anonymized identifier.
3. WHAT WE USE YOUR DATA FOR
We use your data to do things like provide our Services, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Services, analyze how people use our Services, serve personalized promotions, and as required by law or necessary for safety and integrity.
We use the data we collect through your use of the Services to:
- Provide and administer the Services, including to display customized content and facilitate communication with other users;
- Process your requests and orders for courses, products, specific services, information, or features;
- Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns;
- Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from instructors and teaching assistants, notifications about changes to our Service, and updates to our agreements;
- Sending you information and messages about your progress in courses, rewards programs, new services, new features, promotions, newsletters, and other available courses (which you can opt out of at any time);
- Manage your account preferences;
- Facilitate the Services’ technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the Services, and preventing fraud and abuse;
- Solicit feedback from users;
- Market and administer surveys and promotions administered or sponsored by TCM Academy;
- Identify unique users across devices;
- Improve our Services and develop new products, services, and features;
- Analyze trends and traffic, track purchases, and track usage data;
- Advertise the Services on third-party websites and applications;
- As required or permitted by law; or
- As we, in our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, the public, or our Services.
4. WHO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH
We share certain data about you with instructors, other students, companies performing services for us, our business partners, analytics and data enrichment providers, your social media providers, companies helping us run promotions and surveys, and advertising companies who help us promote our Services. We may also share your data as needed for security, legal compliance, or as part of a corporate restructuring. Lastly, we can share data in other ways if it is aggregated or de-identified or if we get your consent.
- With Your Instructors: We share data that we have about you (except your email address) with instructors or teaching assistants for courses you enroll in or request information about, so they can improve their courses for you and other students. This data may include things like your city, country, browser language, operating system, device settings, the site that brought you to TCM Academy, and your activities on TCM Academy. If we collect additional data about you (like age or gender), we may share that too. We will not share your email address with instructors or teaching assistants.
- With Other Students and Instructors: Depending on your settings, your shared content and profile data may be publicly viewable, including to other students and instructors. If you post a review, your information (including your name) may also be publicly viewable by other users depending on your settings.
- With Service Providers, Contractors, and Agents: We share your data with third-party companies who perform services on our behalf, like payment processing, data analysis, marketing and advertising services (including retargeted advertising), email and hosting services, and customer services and support. These service providers may access your personal data and are required to use it solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
- With Analytics and Data Enrichment Services: As part of our use of third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics and data enrichment services, we share certain contact information, Account Data, System Data, Usage Data (as detailed in Section 1), or de-identified data as needed. De-identified data means data where we’ve removed things like your name and email address and replaced it with a token ID.
- For Advertising: If we decide to offer advertising in the future, we may use and share certain System Data and Usage Data with third-party advertisers and networks to show general demographic and preference information among our users. We may also allow advertisers to collect System Data through Data Collection Tools (as detailed in Section 2.1), and to use this data to offer you targeted ad delivery to personalize your user experience (through behavioral advertising) and undertake web analytics. Advertisers may also share with us the data they collect about you. To learn more or opt out from participating ad networks’ behavioral advertising, see Section 6.1 (Your Choices About the Use of Your Data) below. Note that if you opt out, you’ll continue to be served generic ads.
- For Security and Legal Compliance: We may disclose your data to third parties if we (in our sole discretion) have a good faith belief that the disclosure is:
- Permitted or required by law;
- Requested as part of a judicial, governmental, or legal inquiry, order, or proceeding;
- Reasonably necessary as part of a valid subpoena, warrant, or other legally-valid request;
- Required to detect, prevent, or address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule or regulation), or security or technical issues; or
- Reasonably necessary in our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of TCM Academy, our users, employees, members of the public, or our Services.
- During a Change in Control: If TCM Academy undergoes a business transaction like a merger, acquisition, corporate divestiture, or dissolution (including bankruptcy), or a sale of all or some of its assets, we may share, disclose, or transfer all of your data to the successor organization during such transition or in contemplation of a transition (including during due diligence).
- After Aggregation/De-identification: we can disclose or use aggregate or de-identified data for any purpose.
We use appropriate security based on the type and sensitivity of data being stored. As with any internet-enabled system, there is always a risk of unauthorized access, so it’s important to protect your password and to contact us if you suspect any unauthorized access to your account.
TCM Academy takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal data that we collect and store. These measures vary based on the type and sensitivity of the data. Unfortunately, however, no system can be 100% secured, so we cannot guarantee that communications between you and TCM Academy, the Services, or any information provided to us in connection with the data we collect through the Services will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. Your password is an important part of our security system, and it is your responsibility to protect it. You should not share your password with any third party, and if you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should change it immediately and contact email@example.com with any concerns.
6. YOUR RIGHTS
You have certain rights around the use of your data, including the ability to opt out of promotional emails, cookies, and collection of your data by certain analytics providers. You can update or terminate your account from within our Services, and can also contact us for individual rights requests about your personal data.
6.1 Your Choices About the Use of Your Data
You can choose not to provide certain data to us, but you may not be able to use certain features of the Services.
- To stop receiving promotional communications from us, you can opt out by using the unsubscribe mechanism in the promotional communication you receive or . Note that regardless of your email preference settings, we will send you transactional and relationship messages regarding the Services, including administrative confirmations, order confirmations, important updates about the Services, and notices about our policies.
- To opt out of allowing Google Analytics, to use your data for analytics or enrichment, see the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
If you have any questions about your data, our use of it, or your rights, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6.2 Accessing, Updating, and Deleting Your Personal Data
You can access and update your personal data that TCM Academy collects and maintains as follows:
- To update data you provide directly, log into your account and update your account at any time.
- To terminate your account:
- Send a request to email@example.com.
- To request to access, correct, or delete your personal data, email firstname.lastname@example.org Please allow up to 30 days for a response. For your protection, we may require that the request be sent through the email address associated with your account, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. Please note that we retain certain data where we have a lawful basis to do so, including for mandatory record-keeping and to complete transactions.
6.3 Our Policy Concerning Children
We recognize the privacy interests of children and encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. Children under 13 (or under 16 in the European Economic Area) should not use the Services. If we learn that we’ve collected personal data from a child under those ages, we will take reasonable steps to delete it.
Parents who believe that TCM Academy may have collected personal data from a child under those ages can submit a request that it be removed to email@example.com.
7. JURISDICTION-SPECIFIC RULES
If you live in California, you have certain rights to request information. Users outside of the United States should note that we transfer data to the US and other areas outside of the European Economic Area.
8. UPDATES & CONTACT INFO
When we make a material change to this policy, we’ll notify users via email, in-product notice, or another mechanism required by law. Changes become effective the day they’re posted. Please contact us via email or postal mail with any questions, concerns, or disputes.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files stored by your browser as you browse the internet. They can be used to collect, store, and share data about your activities across websites, including on TCM Academy. Cookies also allow us to remember things about your visits to TCM Academy, like your preferred language, and to make the site easier to use.
We use both session cookies, which expire after a short time or when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which remain stored in your browser for a set period of time. We use session cookies to identify you during a single browsing session, like when you log into TCM Academy. We use persistent cookies where we need to identify you over a longer period, like when you request that we keep you signed in.
|Authentication and security||To log you into TCM AcademyTo protect your securityTo help detect and fight spam, abuse, and other activities that violate TCM Academy’s agreements|
For example, cookies help authenticate your access to TCM Academy and prevent unauthorized parties from accessing your accounts.
|Preferences||To remember data about your browser and your preferencesTo remember your settings and other choices you’ve made|
|Analytics and research||To help us improve and understand how people use TCM Academy|
For example, cookies help us test different versions of TCM Academy to see which features or content users prefer, web beacons help us determine which email messages are opened, and cookies help us see how you interact with TCM Academy, like the links you click on.
You can opt out of some of these services through tools like the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
|Personalized content||To customize TCM Academy with more relevant content|
For example, cookies help us show a personalized list of recommended courses on the homepage.
|Advertising||To provide you with more relevant advertising in the future.|
What are my privacy options?
- Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can change your browser settings to decline cookies by consulting your browser’s support articles. If you decide to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some interactive features in the Services.
- Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, so your browser’s cookie-management tools may not remove them. To learn more about how to manage Flash cookies, see Adobe’s article on managing flash cookiesand Website Storage Settings panel.
- For general information about targeting cookies and how to disable them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Updates & Contact Info