The Diagnostic Model of the Shang Han Lun: Dynamic vs. Symptom
What you will learn
- Understand the six systems of the Shang Han Lun, the dynamics and mechanisms of action of each of the systems.
- Identify pathology in each of these systems, including emotional markers.
- Recognize the situations in which a symptom is to be taken literally as a direct indication of a syndrome.
- Know the time that Qi is strongest in each system.
- Treat using the key herb for each system.
- Discover the conditions which cannot be diagnosed or treated through the 6 system model.
The Shang Han Lun is an ancient clinical text, which supplies the practitioner with tools for differential diagnosis and principles of treatment. Despite the fact it was written over 2000 years ago, the insights expressed in this text, are still relevant to the understanding of the human physiology and pathology in modern times.
The text outlines a physiological model of 6 systems, which are responsible for all bodily functions. Each system has it’s characteristic dynamics, mechanisms of actions and related pathologies. The symptoms mentioned in the text, are not intended to create a definite clinical presentation, but to be used as a means of demonstrating the dynamics of the pathology.
Understanding the underlying mechanism of disease, reveals deep and useful insights related to a large variety of disorders, including those not directly mentioned in the text.
The text does not solely deal with the 6 system model. As a clinician, Zhang Zhong Jing, who wrote the text, realized that a disease does not always fit into the model. This situation is referred to as “huai bing”, a complicated disease. In this case, the instruction is to not to use the symptoms as a presentation of dynamics, but to address the symptoms directly.
In the lecture you will also learn that
- Each system has it’s characteristic dynamics in health and in disease.
- The symptoms mentioned in the text, are often not to be taken literally, but to be understood as an illustration of the dynamics in disease.
- We will demonstrate how the symptoms are used to illustrate the specific dynamics of each one of the 6 systems.
This course has been produced from materials recorded at the ICCM Congress. The ICCM arranges a yearly outstanding international TCM gathering held in Tel Aviv during Vernal Equinox in March.
This course is approved by:
Recommend to any serious student of TCM
So much insight in a relatively short time. Would recommend to any serious student of TCM.
an excellent course
This was an excellent course. I hope there will be more in the future, as I would be very happy to learn more on the subject.
Disclaimer | Before You Purchase
Accessing Your Course
After the checkout, the course will be automatically added to your account, and unless otherwise specified, you can start learning immediately.
The course is always available for you, as long as you have an internet connection.
To watch your course, simply log in. You can reach your courses from your account or the course page.
An easy way to find it is under “My Academy” => “My Courses” on the top bar.
Our pre-recorded courses are immediately accessible after purchase and therefore are non-refundable.
We encourage you to return to courses as learning continues; in each view, we learn and understand new things.
CEU/PDA/CPD requirements need to be completed within 1 year of the purchase. You are advised to print and save your certificate for your records and under your association requirements.
Members of NCCAOM & Florida, need to fill in a form after completing their courses for us to submit the points. Look for our email after the completion of the course.