Acupuncture for the Treatment of Hot Flashes in Breast Cancer Survivors
What you will learn
- Gain insights about conventional hormonal treatments in female survivors of breast cancer
- Explore conventional medical treatment options for hormone treatment-related hot flashes
- Discuss the TCM approach to hot flashes, with an emphasis on the oncology patient population
- Learn about the physiological effects of acupuncture which provide relief of hot flashes
- Review the clinical research on the effectiveness of acupuncture for the treatment of hot flashes
Female survivors of hormone receptor- positive breast cancer continue to take selective estrogen receptors (e.g., Tamoxifen) or aromatase inhibitors (e.g., Anastrazole, Letrozole, etc.) for years following the treatment of their tumor. While effective for preventing cancer recurrence, these drugs are accompanied by hot flashes and other side effects which can significantly impair quality of life. Acupuncture has been shown to be both a safe and effective in reducing hot flashes, possibly via the central release of endorphins, serotonin, and ACTH.
This course was originally presented as a lecture during our annual International Oncology Acupuncture Symposium in 2023 with the theme Supporting Cancer Survivors. You can also access it as part of the complete recording package for the symposium. Click here to explore this valuable collection and enhance your learning experience.
This course is approved by:
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.